Monday, December 21, 2009

Learning english

 Most of the middle class Indian families very conspicuously think that everyone attending an English medium school can speak very good English.In fact this is such a big myth that contributes these families to sent their children into english medium at every possible cost.But the reality is far away from these notions.A normal english medium school goer could may be understand the most spoken word or even read a bit and of course do grammer exercise but to expect him to speak fluently is a bit too much.The student who speak English are the ones with the homes where english is spoken by parents.
  I was the one schooled from a small town where most students were from villages and can't even speak Hindi properly.My family was totally Hindi educated and it was my mother's unfulfilled dream of speaking English that in was supposed to fulfill.I thought i could speak whenever i want to but in reality my only spoken English words from a written book or may be written by me.I noticed this defect when i got aquainted with my now Boyfriend who could really good english back in 11th standard.He belonged to a well to do DU educated parents and boasted of even English speaking grand parents.No wonder I was impressed.It was he who prompted me to learn the language.
    During our dates he coerced me to speak every word in English and refuse to listen to me when i gradually shifted to my mother tongue.I was tongue tied most of the times,groping for words that didn't strike,fumbling over verbs and sentence constructions.He patiently corrected my grammatical mistakes and suggested more appropriate words.He told me what the words like "shit","stand at ease","partiality" etc etc actually meant.I was actually using them without knowing their meanings at all.He corrected my too obvious pronunciation mistake.Soon i wanted to be in his league.He suggested to read the english novels ALOUD and word by word and yes in desire to impress him i followed this religiously and i still practice it sometimes.That how you know how a words roll from your mouth,sound to your ears and most important what does it mean and where it can be used.Their are so many words whose meaning you just assume and never remember them or have confidence to speak in your sentence.Sometimes i picked dictionary 25 times in a page but carried on even i have to pick it for the same word thrice.I awkwardly improved my verbal skills.
    But soon i discovered by spoken english does not contain new trendy kind of catchy words.Then i started reading interviews regularly.I practised my accent in a make believe interviews.I even learnt catchy phrases from magazines like stardust and filmfare.
  Three years later into it and was not able to understand english movies and songs.Zee studio came to my rescue.It started sub title-ing.So i got to learn difference between American and British accent too.And how they speak it.Well now when i can understand English song too i feel kind of proud.It only partially my dream.I just desperately wanted to impress Him.
 Nowadays i am still working on it's lesser known words their origin setc and etc.Even getting to know the feeling behind the words and minor subtle mistakes we do. It had been a long journey and i must say i ve come a really long way.Though i am still working on it and still feel inadequate.Everything in life is a constant decision.Whether it's relationship,learning or just living.You just don't have to be too comfortable with one self.That is precisely when you stop growing.

6 comments:

  1. your blogs contain a few good words.so now you r very good in english .i hav also struggle for english and for me it was very important,since my job is related to that.english movies and songs are really very helpfull for learning english.your accent should be very clear while talking.people get impressed only by our speaking style..so keep on improving your english..becoz it's a process of ever learning..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,you didn't write any blog since long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of sorry but i was having my semester exams and now preparing for competitive exams..
    and blog writing is a big disattraction. so i am just giving it up for few more days...in fact a i 'll start it in lastof feb.
    thanks for keeping up with me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your comments dear ... raghu iyer

    ReplyDelete
  5. From where did this lack of expression came as an excuse to completely get "orphaned" for another tongue.that also for good BROKEN ENGLISH?Really disappointed an avid reader of your otherwise nicely constructed writing.I hope you have read and felt the story "Masterji" by Ruskin Bond.If not then please go ahead.If you comprehend the last sentence in my context then my efforts writing are fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello mis blogger..i am back again to read your blogs.but you have not started blogs since a long time.i think now you are settled in your life and finding your way.otherwise you may be busy in other field of life.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment...I d like to know your thoughts..