Thursday, June 10, 2010

Eveteasing..small town attitude and big town mentality..

    When i was in Bijnore, teasing was quite common.Any body saying anything seemed quite normal.Being a girl in small town all of it came as part of it.You can't escape it and you can't oppose it.You had to be silent and pretend as if nothing happened.This was a sure shot method advised to me to keep the further attention away.I being scared of  further targeting by them i kept quite and at times i even got worried if comments extended for time being or someone followed up.If someone commented i was glad he didn't touched and if someone touched i was content that he didn't followed and if he did i soothed myself that he won't continue.Things never took off further than this.There was palpable deep rooted belief that if we did something about it the guy was going to react aggressively and it was assumed that this was something we could never afford.So best reaction was to be passive and calm.


    Well things changed when i came to Noida.There were creepy people in buses, in autos on roads.Out of fear i abstained travelling much going out in a group only and at limited hours.Soon my adventurous streak took over and limited hours began extending.Those days if someone said or did anything i started feeling contempt and disgust.There were times i badly want to strike back but i never did out of fear.Next two years were spent planning to react.Then the pinnacle came.


  I was at sec 37 looking for buses to go pari chowk noida.No yellow buses were there and for some unknown reason limited buses were making me run.So i was just standing when i saw a man coming but i also noticed that his path of motion as entirely parallel to mine.But as he approached he made a diagonal cut and collided to me.Without thinking much i turned back grabbed him by collar and planted a punch on his face.Being stunned he asked why and and i answered back angrily.After that everyone on road treated me specially no one even dared to cross my path.Everyone kept a circumference of space around me.It made me feel like a queen.


  And now i don't let anyone misbehaving with me or fellow girls. 


   I strongly feel that one should react as it would discourage them from this cheap form of entertainment.This is the one of the step to bring safety to travelling women.These goons should't feel that they could do anything and get away.These small incidents of speaking up saves the victim a mental trauma and sometimes even harsher consequences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment...I d like to know your thoughts..